ADULT GERONTOLOGICAL ACUTE CARE CERTIFICATE
(APPLICATION DEADLINE APRIL 1st)
This AGACNP certificate program has a focus on advanced practice, adult acute care nursing as a specialty area. A multi-theoretical model is used to examine issues relevant to acute care delivery and complex illness throughout the adult’s life span. The program prepares students to provide expert, critical care to patients; they will be educated through online class work, laboratory time, and clinical rotations to care for acutely ill patients in the hospital. In addition to a curriculum of didactic lectures using an online format, AGACNP training includes simulation exercises structured to specifically train students in diagnosis and treatment of the critically ill. Technical and procedural skills required to work in an ICU setting are also taught.
This post-masters nurse practitioner/post-DNP nurse practitioner program requires the student to take 22 credit hours and have had participated in at least 540 clinical hours. This allows the student to sit for the Adult-Gerontological Acute Care Nurse Practitioner certification examination. The criteria to sit for this exam are as follows (as per ANCC 2019):
- Hold current unencumbered and non-restricted APRN license in any state or U.S. territory
- Hold a master’s, postgraduate or doctoral degree from an accredited (CCNR or ACEN) adult or family NP program
- A minimum of 500 faculty-supervised clinical hours
- 3 separate comprehensive graduate level courses in:
- Advanced physiology/pathophysiology-across the life span
- Advanced health assessment which includes assessment of all human systems, advanced assessment techniques, concepts, and approaches
- Advanced pharmacology, which includes pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and pharmaco-therapeutics of all broad categories of agents.
- Content in: Health promotion and/or maintenance; differential diagnosis and disease management, including the use and prescription of pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic interventions
- All clinical hours are focused on the direct care of acutely ill adult-gerontology patients.
*If student has not taken an advanced skills course prior to admission,
NGR 5064C Advanced Skills for the APN (2) (45 clinical hours) must also be taken
*Federal Financial Aid is not available for students enrolled in the AGACNP Certificate Program Certificate program.